For Florida Gulf Coast University's University Colloquium

Thoughts on how Florida has both shaped and frustrated one of its rare native children.

Monday, April 19, 2010

Two things I've been thinking about:

1. When you go to Publix, the cashiers/baggers can't stand it --they have to use plastic. Every time I have my own bags or ask for paper (I put my recycling in paper bags to take to the recycling stand in my complex.,) they always end up giving me at least one plastic bag! If I have one item left not in a bag, instead of putting it in one of the existing bags, they toss it into a plastic bag on its own. If they start to put it in plastic and you remind them of wanting paper or that you brought your own bags, they just put the plastic bags in the bags. Yeesh! Do you think that they will have nervous breakdown if they don't use a plastic bag at least once? Is it so ingrained in our beings to use plastic bags that we can't deprogram ourselves?

2. Most beauty/personal care products don't come in recyclable containers, yet they are most often made of plastic. Toothpaste, eyeshadow, deodorant. They don't have recycle logos, and I feel guilty every time I throw one away. When are they going to got on the bus --green on the outside too, not just the inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment