For Florida Gulf Coast University's University Colloquium

Thoughts on how Florida has both shaped and frustrated one of its rare native children.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

In this post we are to write about the film "Crude Awakening". It's about the peak-oil crisis. Though I think they were a little heavy handed with the emotional manipulation through horror film music, they did make some good points. I especially loved the images from the early part of the twentieth century during the oil boom --some in the U.S. and some in Baku. Men were covered in the stuff, splashing in it like children in puddles. It gave a strong sense of wastefulness. Then contrasting those images were images of Baku after the oil ran out. The land was decimated! It looked like a battle field. (Interesting how the destruction humanity inflicts upon the earth always looks like a battlefield. I've often said the same thing about clear-cutting land. The "after" scene always looks like images I've seen of WWI).

I also love all of the old film clips of mid-twentieth century ads about oil and oil products --cars, cosmetics, clothes, gasoline, etc. Though these ads were meant at the time to be pro-oil, they are chilling now. They could be read an entirely different way!

Another thing I found interesting, was that peak oil in Iran was reached in 1978 --around the same time of the Islamic revolution when the Shah had to high-tail it out of there. It's known that the U.S helped to put him in power. I wonder now if it also chose to desert him when the oil supplies ran out. As anyone who knows me will tell you, I have a great deal of respect for Iran and the Iranian people. Neither of the most recent governmental regimes have worked well for them and neither have they been complete failures. Yet, I wonder how much the U.S. (and Britain and France, etc.) has helped to cause the political situation Iran faces now --and all over using them for our own oil agendas.

Favorite quote from the film: As far as I know, They're not makin' a lot of dinosaurs anymore."

No comments:

Post a Comment