For Florida Gulf Coast University's University Colloquium

Thoughts on how Florida has both shaped and frustrated one of its rare native children.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Here we are to write about E2 (E-squared) Transport --episodes 1

Episode 1 was set in London. I have to admit that the day I watched it I was v. tired and so happy to see images of my beloved foggy, rainy London that I spaced out a little bit. But a few things did sink in. A lot of green practices regarding transportation in London have to do with the new mayor --who, like Chicago's Mayor Daley, has been criticized for them. Yet he rocks-on anyway!

I found the congestion tax, super cool and very interesting. I also liked how they made they roads more pedestrian and biker friendly, even making wider bike lanes. I also liked the comments on the previous administration's use of barricades to separate the pedestrians from the cars. My favorite image was of a group of executives, in their black overcoats and hats and carrying their black umbrellas and briefcases, walking in formation behind one of the barriers. They looked like prisoners on morning exercises!

I liked too that Trafalgar Square as been closed to traffic and is now an open space. In the 1980's I spent a New Year's Eve watching the festivities from the window in the bar of our hotel in Trafalgar Square. My favorite New Year's ever! Another notable thing about that experience is that although the place was packed with people and trash was everywhere, the next morning it had all been cleaned up and put to rights. Totally impressive!


No comments:

Post a Comment