I just finished my ecological footprint quiz. I'm pleased that I came in below the country average: carbon --73.2 compared to 91.4, food --41.4 compared to 65.7, housing --19.4 compared to 31.6, goods and services --23.1 compared to 57.7. That last one will surprise many who know me --because I love my stuff! However, I have a lot of family hand-me-downs/heirlooms and love antique stores and thrift shops.
Now, here's the scary thing. Even though my footprint is below the national average, it would take 4 1/2 earths to sustain everyone on the planet living like me. Yikes! As a global community, humans are currently averaging around 1 1/2 earths. Big difference --and I'm lower than the average in the U.S.
In some respects there isn't a whole lot I can do. I live in an apartment complex --so I can't alter my dwelling --I'm stuck with what I have. For my electrical and water needs I am stuck with whatever is available to me locally, and as far as I know, Collier County isn't exactly leading the way with alternative fuel technologies. However, I can bring my reusable thermal cup and water bottles with me --which I already do --I even bring my own spoon for stirring my tea. I can bring my canvas bags to more places --not just the grocery store. I can use longer life light bulbs. I can install a water-saving device in my toilet (I saw this on a re-run of Home Improvement on TV Land). I can also take a 4 minute shower --you can even get a little hour glass to put in the shower to keep time. This last one could be hard though. The hot water feels good on my fibromyalgic muscles. And I could go back to recycling my cooking water. I do it to a certain extent now, but I could do more. I can't do a whole lot about how much I drive. There aren't public transportation options here. I attend school in another city, but if my grad school plans go well --I shouldn't have such a long commute. Now that the weather is hospitable in Florida I could bicycle to the grocery store and pharmacy --but I am afraid for my life on the roads. I had a woman run me off the road and into a pole with her SUV once. However, I always combine my errands as much as possible.
Now, I intend to send the link to the ecological footprint quiz to everyone I know. You do the same. Make your friends and family take it --get the word out --don't let just the media and business marketing campaigns inform them. Here's the link: ecologicalfootprint.org.
Monday, February 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment