Today is the first day of Nowruz --the first day of spring and the first day of the new year in many cultures. It is said that what you do today will set the tone for the whole year. Be giving and do kind things to yourself, the earth, and your fellow inhabitants.
I've done some spring cleaning; recycled; planted tomatoes, nasturtiums, sunflowers, and some grass for my cats. I also wrote; read the story of Amoo Norooz; and decorated with flowers (lilies and hyacinth), plants, wild rue seeds, apples (organic of course) and an orange (Florida of course).
I've included a picture of my coffee table with some of my Nowruz decorative touches. Candles represent a holy fire. Apples represent fertility and beauty. The mirror reflects the light of the Lord of Wisdom and the images of his creation. The orange floating in a bowl of water represents the earth floating in space. My goldfish card is standing in for live goldfish to represent the beginning of creation. The rue seeds, resting in a vintage Iranian ashtray I found on eBay, are usually burned to ward off evil spirits. I don't have a brazier, so I'm burning incense instead --frankincense and myrrh also ward of evil spirits, which is probably why the wise men brought them as gifts to Jesus.
There are many other items to add to the table. I will do that later today. Plus I have a wonderful feast planned. If you want to know more about Nowruz --Farsinet is a good place to look as well as Kodoom.com. Also, my favorite Iranian cookbook author, Najmieh Batmanglij, has published a book on celebrating Nowruz: "Happy Nowruz --Cooking with Children to Celebrate the Persian New Year." I found my copy on Amazon. Batmanglij lays out the thirteen day Nowruz celebration with clarity and beauty. She includes a cookie cutter; wonderful recipes; and directions for making a Nowruz garland, coloring eggs (some with natural dyes and making eggshell planters to grow sprouts and grass, plus many other wonderful things.
This is a holiday in celebration of the earth. As David Orr tells us, biophilia is a spiritual experience too. Experience, feel, and appreciate your connection to the planet today.
No comments:
Post a Comment