For Florida Gulf Coast University's University Colloquium

Thoughts on how Florida has both shaped and frustrated one of its rare native children.

Sunday, February 14, 2010
















In this entry, we are to describe and illustrate our favorite place in the community. Egads, that is a tough one. I have so many favorite places, but I think perhaps I will talk about Sanibel, as I have spent more time than usual there of late.


You know how things are not always the same as you remember them? How our memories take on a mythical vision of their own? This is just as it is with me and Sanibel. I have visited the island many times over the years --my first time with my parents in the 1970's. Each time I return, Sanibel is always more beautiful than I remember. Imagine that. It is a rare thing. But the islanders are committed to maintaining Sanibel's quaint and natural beauty.

It is a uniquely pedestrian and bicycle friendly place with bike paths almost as wide as the two-lane main street through town. This path is separated from the road by lines of trees and bushes. When you journey down these paths, you feel immersed in nature
. The beaches still hold much of the wild life and beauty that I remember from earlier days on Marco Island. The streets are narrow and wending, leading travelers to secret coves and to different eras in Florida's history.

The Sanibel Island Writers Conference, created by FGCU professors Tom DeMarchi and Karen Tolchin, is held at the Big Arts complex on Sanibel. I've attended two years in a row and this year was extra special. Special good and special bad.

I was taking the FGCU class connected with the conference this year and there were some amazing writers!!! Including Steve Almond, Tom Chiarella, Julianna Baggott, and the keynote speaker and native Florida author Carl Hiaasen. The down side was that I had recently broken up with my boyfriend and to make things worse, a few days before the conference he canceled on me via text because he was getting married that weekend to a woman he had known for two weeks. We'd attended the conference together the year before and had become much closer in those four days. Now I would be there again, alone and with his impending marriage hanging over me.

I decided I didn't want to be in town for the 'big day' so I escaped to Sanibel four days early. That first day --and his wedding day --was All Saints Day and there was a full moon. Driving through the mangrove lined streets near my hotel that night became especially beautiful as the moon dappled the mangrove leaves with its reflected light. I also had a nice walk on the hotel beach that afternoon after I arrived. Here's a journal entry from that night:

"I saw an osprey on the beach today. he was standing at the shore line right in front of me. Viewing him head-on I thought he was a big scrappy looking seagull at first, until he took off and flew right by my shoulder and I saw his 'eyeliner'."

He was so close that I could feel the breeze from his wings. It was an amazing experience. It didn't occur to me until later that night as I sat in a sports bar nursing a gin and tonic and waiting for my take-out that I perhaps should have been frightened by the nearness of that predatory bird.

Here's another entry from that day:

"The coquinas are really active --big and fat too --burrowing against the tide. The sand pipers and other birds are cute, running with the tide to avoid getting washed away --but sneaking in when water is out to snatch at the coquinas."

I love coquinas and their myriad of pastel colors. I love the way they wiggle and dig their way back into the sand.

I didn't have my camera that day as I had it charging back in the room. But the day before the conference I went out early in the morning. It happened to be low tide and there was lots to see. I've posted some of those pictures here. It was an inspiring week and I did a lot of writing and healing.




No comments:

Post a Comment