For Florida Gulf Coast University's University Colloquium

Thoughts on how Florida has both shaped and frustrated one of its rare native children.

Sunday, February 14, 2010













I have had a lot going on in my life at the moment, and my health has been more than usually in the dumps, so I am a little behind on my postings. After today, I should be nicely caught up and will post on a regular basis.

Our first journal entry should reflect upon our expectations for learning and outcomes from the colloquium class. Hmm. This is a tough one. Born and raised in Florida, I have enjoyed many educational experiences through school
--from kindergarten on --and the Girl Scouts. I have also been blessed with a family who revels in educational experiences. Plus, my mother is an avid gardener and we love looking at native Florida plants and visiting plant festivals and Florida gardens. Still, I know there is always more to learn, and so far, I have learned a new thing or two.

Our trip to Ding Darling was a lot of fun. I saw a roseate spoonbill for the first time in its native habitat --and I saw white pelicans for the first time ever! I think that is rather sad though --my first white pelican sighting in forty years. I'm sure there was a time when they were plentiful. In fact, there was a time when other types of fauna were more plentiful. Even in my own time I have seen changes. I remember when rabbits would hop onto the sand on Marco Islands' Tigertail Beach and shelling was a fascinating experience. I learned from my father how to spot the 'tail' of a lightening-welk sticking out of the sand and how to watch for coquinas burrowing back into the sand after the waves retreated back into the gulf. None of that exists anymore --except for maybe a diminished number of coquinas. Tigertail is stuffed with people and concession stands. And the rest of Marco Island's beaches have been claimed by hotels and condominiums that now line the shore. I used to walk there with my friends or my family, but now this is a covert operation. The beaches no longer belong to any who wish to visit.

I probably disappointed the professor when I didn't leap off the bus to see the alligator at Ding Darling. But I've seen more alligators than I can count. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate them. I just think that someone who hasn't seen one before should have a better chance at a closer look. S/he doesn't need me clogging up the visibility. Though I would have loved to see the crocodile --but more on her in a later post.

Of course Colloquium is more than just learning about Florida. We are a global community after all and, as we are discovering, the environment is a global concern. What I do here can affect an entire community in Africa. I hope to learn more about how we can make changes happen. It's frightening where we are now and frightening how little people care. Money is the great motivator --to destroy and to build. Wasn't it political and capitalist marketing schemes that got us to forget about the endangered ecosystem in the first place? (I think it was Michael Grimwald the author of Endgame that told us so.) Nothing's changed since the 1990's --the last time being green was 'hip' --except than things have only gotten worse. I scoffed when Al Gore's film had such a major reaction. Not because of Al Gore or the film itself. I applaud Gore and his vision, and at least he got people to sit-up and take notice again. But that's the point. People reacted as if this was all news to them, and suddenly 'going green' was all the rage. However, nothing has changed --the planet is still going to crap and has been for awhile. I want to scream, 'Hello! We already knew all of this! What's changed?"

Colloquium will certainly be interesting as I learn more about the critical state of our planet and what is and is not being done to help it. Although, each class is depressing. It's easy to feel helpless and frustrated. I am a writer though, and I can reach people with my words and attempt to foster change in that way. The class has inspired me to do so. In the meantime, I am enjoying some of my favorite Florida 'hangouts' in our field trips. We are even going to Echo Farms --a place I have always wanted to visit. This will be v. exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment